Saturday, August 7, 2010

only fair to start with me....

I guess it's only fair to start this story with me...
I was a child who grew up loving nature and the outdoors... I would get interested in many fads... or subjects... and spend most of my time... only doing those things.. and neglecting other areas of study or work... I have found out recently that I have adult A.D.H.D. I was never a hyper child... but I did chat incessantly... I found out this year ... that my interests and my son's interest in one subject... is called being Hyper focused.. ( more on this later)
I learned two years ago that I had an inherited neurological syndrome characterized by easy distractiability, low tolerance for frustration or boredom, a greater than average tendency to say or do whatever came to mind...( learned this was impulsively) and a predilection for situations of high intensity....I have learned that there are some advantages to having ADHD... high energy, intuitiveness, creativity and enthusiasm and Passion... which I can admit I have ....
In school... I had much trouble... not with disruptive behavior but with math facts, spelling, handwriting.... and sentence structure.. My grandmother would be exhausted after working with me for hours on homework that should have taken 30 minutes.
So when the veil was lifted 2 years ago...and I began to learn... why I have had so much trouble with "simple" organization and challenges... I realized... my son was going to have a long hard road ahead of him... unless I became a solider in his fight for his success in school and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment